If you’ve ever been knee-deep in suitcase chaos, wondering how your travel gear transformed into a tangled jumble of who-knows-what, then you, my friend, are in the right place. If you aren’t using packing cubes for travel yet then you are seriously missing out!
Packing cubes for travel are like magic wands for your luggage, turning a potential travel disaster into the stuff of travel dreams.
If you often feel “There has to be a better way” for packing, you’re in for a treat because using packing cubes helps keep your things organized and save space in your suitcase or backpack..
In this guide I’m going to share with you my exact method for packing with packing cubes based on my years of packing experience so you can learn how to pack with packing cubes.
Quick Guide for Best Packing Cubes
Did You Get Travel Insurance Yet?
The Insurance companies I recommend are Hey Mondo and Safety Wing
Hey Mondo is great if you are looking for a great value flexible policy. They offer single-trip cover, annual multi-trip cover, and long-term travel cover. Safety Wing is great value, with monthly coverage starting at $45.08. It’s super easy to use, and it just renews each month. I currently use them as they offer me free cover for my son as part of my policy.
Read my full travel insurance post here, where I go into detail about all companies.
What are Packing Cubes?
Packing cubes for travel are small, lightweight fabric bags with zippers to organize and categorize your clothes and accessories within your suitcase or backpack. Think of them like little drawers for your suitcase, making packing and unpacking a breeze.
Let’s talk types. There are the standard waterproof packing cubes, great for your everyday items. Then you’ve got the slim versions, perfect for sliding in those awkward spaces left in your suitcase. And let’s remember the compression packing cubes for travel; these babies are perfect for when you’ve shopped too much and need to squeeze everything back in.
So, when you use traveling cubes when packing a backpack or suitcase, you organize your life on the go. They help reduce wrinkles in your clothes (because who has time to iron on vacation?) and make airport security checks a breeze since everything is neatly separated and easy to access.
Why Use Packing Cubes
If you ask me about backpack packing cubes, these little beauties are right up there with the invention of the wheel when it comes to travel necessities. Yes, I’m that serious about them. Here are some reasons I admire travel packing cubes:
● First, compression cubes for travel save you time, and time is of the essence when you’re traveling. Everything has its place with these cubes, which means no more rummaging through your bag to find that elusive charger or your favorite pair of socks.
● Packing cubes for a backpack let you neatly stack and fit your items together, maximizing every inch of your suitcase.
● Using cubes in packing bags for travel can give you designated space for different items or outfits. You can have one for your tops, one for your bottoms, and another for your undies and socks. Or, if you’re a real pro, you can organize by outfit.
● And here’s the kicker: they help keep your clothes wrinkle-free. Because everything is snug and secure in its cube, your clothes aren’t shifting around and getting all wrinkly.
So, are packing cubes worth it? Absolutely. They save you time, maximize your space, keep you organized, and even help keep your clothes wrinkle-free.
Best Packing Cubes for Your Needs
When choosing the best packing cubes, you’ve got plenty of solid options. Eagle Creek has the best packing cubes for carry-on, a favorite among travelers for their durability and variety. Their Specter Tech cubes are ultra-lightweight and strong, perfect for backpackers and frequent flyers.
eBags is another go-to for packing backpacks; their classic mesh cubes let you see what’s inside without unpacking everything. And if you’re looking for something budget-friendly, AmazonBasics offers a set of packing cubes that gets the job done without breaking the bank.
Now, let’s talk about sizes. Most brands offer a variety of cube sizes in a set, which is perfect for different items and suitcase sizes. The small cubes are great for underwear, socks, and accessories, while the larger ones are ideal for clothing items. And for those who need to pack a bit more, extra-large cubes are also available.
But wait, there’s more if you don’t know how do packing cubes work. Some cubes come with special features that can be game-changers. Compression packing cubes, for instance, help you save even more space by compressing your clothes as you zip them up. Some cubes also come with additional compartments for extra organization, and others are made with water-resistant materials to protect your belongings.
Now, for my top recommendations, the Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter Tech Cube Set is a winner. They’re lightweight, strong, and come in various sizes.
How to Use Packing Cubes Effectively
Learning how to pack using packing cubes is easy once you get your hands on them. Here’s how to do it:
- Start by laying out all your packing cubes and choosing which items will go into each cube. A good rule of thumb is to pack similar items together – think tops in one, bottoms in another, and so on.
- To maximize space and minimize wrinkles, roll your clothes or use the bundle folding method. This is especially handy for more wrinkle-prone items.
- You want to pack your cubes tightly to prevent items from shifting and causing wrinkles, but be careful not to overstuff. The zippers should close quickly without forcing them.
- Once everything’s neatly packed, zip up the cubes. Most cubes have two zippers, so make sure they meet in the middle for easier opening.
- Place the cubes in your suitcase in a sense order. You might want to put the items you’ll need first on top or organize by outfit.
- Use any remaining space in your suitcase for items that didn’t go in a cube, like shoes or a toiletry bag. You can also use small cubes or pouches for these.
How Do Packing Cubes Save Space?
After learning how to pack in packing cubes, you’ll be impressed by how easy it makes things.
Compression cubes remove excess air and compress your clothes, allowing you to pack more in the same suitcase space. Think of it like vacuum-sealing your clothes but in a more travel-friendly way.
Personal Experiment and Results
Without Packing Cubes
Everything was placed directly into the suitcase. The result was pretty messy, with limited space. Finding specific items was challenging, and the suitcase was packed to its brim.
With Packing Cubes
I used different cubes for tops, bottoms, and underwear. Compression cubes were utilized for bulkier items. This time, everything was neat and organized, and to my surprise, extra space was available. My packing cubes before and after has been pretty good so far.
What To Look For When Shopping For Compression Packing Cubes For Travel?
When you need compression packing cubes, you want something that will make packing a breeze and give you that extra space for just one more souvenir. So, here’s the lowdown on what to look out for:
Go for a durable material that can withstand a bit of rough and tumble. You want these cubes to last trip after trip, not give up on you after one adventure.
Zippers that Zoom
Ensure the zippers are sturdy and smooth. There’s nothing worse than a zipper that gets stuck when you’re trying to compress your clothes.
Look for a set with different sizes. You don’t pack the same stuff every time, right? So, having options is key.
Easy Peasy Compression
Choose cubes that compress easily. You should be fine with a degree in rocket science to work them out. Simplicity is your best friend here.
Based on these features, here are my top recommendations for the best packing cubes:
1. Best Compression Packing Cubes for Hardcore Travelers
BAGAIL packing cubes are crafted with a premium upgraded nylon fabric that’s as smooth as butter and tough as nails, ensuring your clothes are protected from the cruel world of suitcase wrinkles and stains.
The nylon is soft to the touch, yet it stands up to high-density wear and tear, making it perfect for travelers who don’t know the meaning of ‘travel light.’
2. Packing Cubes for Backpacking Adventures
The Osprey packing cubes have undergone a major glow-up to ensure your packing game is on point, offering top-notch organization, smooth operation, and a comfy experience. Plus, they’ve got a green heart, reducing environmental impact with bluesign-approved and GRS-certified 100% recycled main body fabrics.
3. Packing Cubes for Carry-Ons
If you are hunting for packing cubes to make your carry-on experience a breeze, let me introduce you to OlarHike’s set. You’ve got a large one for your bulkier items like jackets and sweaters, two mediums for shirts and dresses, two smalls for your intimates, and a slim one that’s perfect for those random bits and bobs like chargers and hair ties.
4. Packing Cubes for Checked Luggage
The Gorilla Grip packing cubes are the real deal when making the most of your suitcase space. They come in a set of six, giving you plenty of options to organize everything from your bulky sweaters and jackets to lighter stuff like shirts and undies. The material is durable, like superhero cape-durable. This 210T polyester is tough enough to handle the rough and tumble of travel life.
Tips and Tricks: How to Pack Using Packing Cubes
Here are some game-changing packing cube hacks that I’ve gathered from my countless adventures:
● Roll, Don’t Fold: This is packing 101, folks! Rolling your clothes instead of folding them not only saves space but also helps to prevent wrinkles. Trust me, your packing cubes and clothes will thank you.
● Use a Cube for Laundry: Keep a spare cube for dirty laundry. This way, your worn clothes won’t mingle with the fresh ones, keeping everything neat.
● Compress to Impress: Use your packing cubes with compression zippers! They can drastically reduce the volume of your clothes, giving you more space for souvenirs.
It’s A Wrap!
Alright, fellow travelers, we’ve talked a lot about how to pack with packing cubes, and honestly, they’re game changers. If you haven’t used them before, I’m telling you, they make packing and finding your stuff so much easier.
Think of these cubes like little drawers for your suitcase. Everything has its place, which means no more digging around and making a mess just to find your lucky socks. And you know that feeling when you close your suitcase, and it zips up without a fight? Yeah, packing cubes can help with that too.
So, do packing cubes really help? They definitely do. Roll your clothes, sort them out, and pack them in. You’ll be amazed at how much more you can fit and how stress-free packing (and unpacking) can be.
Here’s to neat suitcases and even neater adventures!
Travel Guide Planning
🚗 Where can I book bus or private transportation while I’m traveling?
I strongly recommend using Bookaway. You can book almost all transport in the major tourist destinations through them online. They don’t just cover buses they also cover shuttles, ferries, and private drivers.
🎫 Where can I buy tickets for museums, attractions, and tours?
👩⚕️ What is the best insurance to have while traveling?
I have also written a blog post covering all my recommended travel insurance here
✈️ Any flight recommendations?
📱What do you use for internet connection while traveling?
I’m a big fan of personal WiFi devices and they have saved my ass so many times when traveling. I wrote a full review of the top travel WiFi devices you can read here. I personally use GlocalMe as I can either pop in a physical sim card or use their local carrier.
With regards to my phone connection, I use e-sims while traveling, so rather than having to swap out my regular sim card I can download the app and buy a virtual sim card. I recommend using eitherAirhub or Alosim. Both have great coverage of multiple countries and are very easy to use.
🛏️ What is the best platform to use for booking accommodation?
🛅 Do you have any luggage recommendations for traveling?