Wondering what to do around Bogota? If you are staying in Bogota for more than a few days there are some pretty incredible places you can visit. Just a short bus ride from the city are 3 amazing day trips from Bogota I can highly recommend. Bogota may be a big city, but trust me, just the other side of those mountains is a whole other world! I really recommend making at least 1 of these day trips from Bogota if you can.
The 3 Best Day Trips from Bogota Colombia
- Cathedral del Sal
- La Chorerra Waterfall (the highest waterfall in Colombia)
- Therme Spa in Choachí
Each of these can be arranged as day tours from Bogota with a private tour company like Colombian Buddy. Or you can do what I did and make your own way there!
Visit the Catedral del Sal from Bogota
This is probably the most popular of the day trips from Bogota. Most people visiting Bogota for more than 2 days make the trip to The Cathedral of Salt in Zipaquirá. You will find lots of tour companies wanting to take you there for a nice fee.
It is so easy to get there on a bus and you have to pay for a guided tour anyway in the entrance fee. So take my advice and save yourself some $$.
For my full guide including how to get there click here to read my full post.
Visit La Chorrera waterfall from Bogota
Just 1 hour outside of Bogota is La Correra Waterfall, the tallest in Colombia. This is my personal favorite of all of the Bogota day tours.
If you have a few days in Bogota I highly recommend spending at least one of your days there outside if the city! It really is a different (more beautiful and less polluted) world just over those mountains.
It is easy to reach and so worth the day trip from Bogota!
You can read my full post here or take a watch of my short video.
Visit the Thermal Spa in Choachi
If you are looking for the perfect relaxing escape from the smog of Bogota then look no further. Just a 1-hour bus ride from Bogota in a town called Choachí you will find Thermales Santa Monica. This is the closest Thermal Spa to Bogota and well worth a visit.
The cost of a day pass is really reasonable. For an Adult it is $20mil on a Monday, $25mil Tue-Sat and $35mil on Sundays or public holidays, making it really affordable.
You can read my full post here.
Top Tip: The spa is on the same bus route as the waterfalls so I suggest going to the waterfall and camping overnight there. Then the next morning make your way back up to the main road and take a bus down to Choachi (or just hitchhike – probably quicker) and find a campsite or Finca to stay there if you want to stay for a second night. Then you can spend the day in the spa returning to Bogota on the last bus at 5 pm or the next morning.
Wondering where to stay in Bogota? I recommend staying in Chapenero over La Candelaria if you are staying longer than 24 hours.
Hotels I recommend are:
If you are only in town for 1 night then I recommend staying in one of these places in La Candelaria:
If you need a hotel close to the airport then I recommend the Radisson AR Bogota Airport.
Concerned about safety in Bogotá? Take a read of my safety guide to Bogotá.
Are You Traveling soon?
Be sure to check Skyscanner for the best flight deals.
I never travel anywhere without Travel Insurance. If you are looking for insurance be sure to check World Nomads first.
This post was proofread by Grammarly
Book your trip now
Are you ready to book your trip? To help you get the best deals and service here are the companies that I personally use to book all of my travel online. I always shop around before booking anything, but these are my tried and tested starting places.
- Skyscanner – I’m a bit fan of Skyscanner, it is who I use to book all of my flights. I often will check other like Google Flights or Momodo, but I always go here first and it is who I book 99% of my flights with.
- Booking.com – I LOVE booking.com especially when I can book and cancel free up until a certain point, mostly because my plans are forever changing. It’s easy to use and has one of the widest selections.
- Airbnb – I’m not a huge user of Airbnb, but sometimes I do like to use it, and I ALWAYS check it before I book anything else. You can get some really cool places to stay here, and it is especially good in places like Cuba. If you don’t have an account and you click on this link then you will get $36 off your first booking.
- Hostelworld – If you are looking for hostels then this is a great place to check first. They often have additional places that you won’t find on Bookin.com.
- Agoda – Although I don’t use it as much as booking.com, Agonda is especially good if you are traveling in Asia as they really do dominate there.
- Worldpackers – If you want to travel on the cheap and save money on accommodation then you need Worldpackers in your life. You can read more about it here. If you click this link to sign up and use the code CLAIRESITCHYFEET then you can get a 40% discount on your membership!
- Book a Way – If you are traveling in Asia and want to pre-book your transportation then bookaway.com is a fantastic site to do so. They have buses, trains, and cars.
- RentalCars – Looking to rent a. car while you are away? I always book through Rental Cars as they do a search of all of the big sites and find the best deals.
- Welcome Pickups – Very occasionally getting from the airport to my accommodation is a total pain in the butt, or I’m traveling in a group and it makes sense to arrange a pickup. When I do I use Welcome pickups.
- World Nomads – If you are looking for flexible travel insurance then it’s World Nomads all the way. I wrote all about insurance here if you want a more thorough review.
- SafetyWing – AsI’m a Digital Nomad and not moving around quite so much anymore I personally use SafetyWing now for my health insurance. I wrote a full review here.
- Viatour – Sometimes it can be a little expensive, but I like Viatour for somethings, especially if you can get a discount code! It’s also great for inspiration.
- Klook – If you are traveling in Asia, then Klook is great! You can book all kinds of tours, activities, and train tickets, plus they even have sim cards and WiFi.