Main Claire's Itchy Feet logo

How To Get A Mexican Drivers License In Playa del Carmen

Do you want to get a Mexican drivers license as a foreign person in Playa del Carmen? Well, you are in the right place to get the most up-to-date information (I just got mine in 2022). Before I went to get my Mexico drivers license in Playa del Carmen I read several blog posts to prepare, and all of them were out of date and things had changed.

So of course, I thought I’d better put this blog post together to make sure you have access to the most up-to-date information to help you apply for a Mexico driving license.

Did You Get Travel Insurance Yet?

The Insurance companies I recommend are Hey Mondo and Safety Wing

Hey Mondo is great if you are looking for a great value flexible policy. They offer single-trip cover, annual multi-trip cover, and long-term travel cover. Safety Wing is great value, with monthly coverage starting at $45.08. It’s super easy to use, and it just renews each month. I currently use them as they offer me free cover for my son as part of my policy.

Read my full travel insurance post here, where I go into detail about all companies. 

What do you need to get a drivers license in Mexico as a foreigner?

  • Your passport and a photocopy of the photo page
  • Your proof of residency in Mexico (Permanent or temporary residency card, this could also be your FMM) and a copy of both sides
  • Your CURP if you have one – you can easily print this off here
  • A utility bill that was issued in the last 2 months plus a photocopy. Most people bring a CFE or water bill. It does not need to have your name on it, just your address.
  • Your drivers license issued by your home country and a photocopy of it.
  • To know your blood type. You don’t need proof, but if you don’t already know this you can go into any of the labs and get this done quickly and cheaply.
Mexican Drivers License in Playa del Carmen

It’s important that you bring copies of everything with you. If you need to make the copies there is a copy shop right across from the place where you need to go to get the Mexico drivers license in Playa del Carmen.

Ok so just to say, I did this in Playa del Carmen, so this information is good only for here. There is a possibility that these requirements will differ from state to state. Also, it’s common practice here for people on an FMM (tourist card) to ask for a drivers license so it will be more routine here. In other states, it may not be so common. The other thing to say is that I am a permanent resident, so I was able to get a 5-year license. If you are just here on a 180-day FMM tourist card, then your license will only be granted for that time, and I can’t be 100% sure of the cost of the license.

Quick Tip: Book accommodation, tours, and transport ahead of time online to save money and stress. 

Best Playa Del Carmen ToursClick here to check out the top Playa Del Carmen tours
Best Playa Del Carmen Accommodation: Click here to check out the best accommodation in Playa Del Carmen
Best Playa Del Carmen Transport: Click here to book a bus, ferry, or train in Playa Del Carmen

Do you need a drivers license to get a Mexican drivers license?

Everything I read about getting a drivers license in Playa del Carmen told me that I would need to either take a driver’s test (a quick spin around the block) or they would take my drivers license (issues by the UK) off me and replace it with the Mexican one. Obviously, I didn’t like the idea or either of these options!

So I’m glad to report that I was able to get my Mexican drivers license in Playa del Carmen without handing over my UK drivers license! they just asked me for a photocopy of it… which I didn’t have because nothing I read told me I needed it, OOPS! Lucky for me the lady took pity on me as I have my baby with me and she made the copy for me. Otherwise, I would have had to go and line up again! So be sure to take a copy with you.

If you don’t have a drivers license from your home country, then you will need to do the test.

Quick Tip: I highly recommend booking all of your Mexico transportation with GottoGo. You can search for buses, shuttles, ferries, and Flights on their website. What I love most about them is their customer service. I know these guys personally from living in Guatemala, and they look after their customers.

If anything happens and you get delayed and miss your bus, you can just call them, and they are always there to help. If you book through them, you will pay a little more than booking in person at the bus station. But it’s worth it for the ease and security. Click here to search for transportation in Mexico.

Where to go in Playa del Carmen to get a Mexican drivers license

To get your Mexico driver’s license you will need to take a taxi as it’s over the other side of the highway and too far to walk. You should pay anywhere from 50-100 pesos for the ride from centro (depending on your level of Spanish haha).

You need to go to the Direccion General De Seguridad Publica Y transito Municipal

Avenida Poniente S/N 125, Ejidal, 77727 Playa del Carmen, Q.R.

How To Get A Mexican Drivers License In Playa del Carmen
Mexican Drivers License in Playa del Carmen

It’s in the same location as the police station and you really can’t miss it! It’s pretty easy to park on the street outside if you plan to travel by car.

I found everyone I spoke to was very helpful and friendly even with my broken Spanish.

QUICK TIP: Book your tours, rental cars, and transfers through my local contacts

I’ve been working with Living Dreams Mexico for years and they are who I send all my family and friends to when they visit the Riviera Maya. I really can recommend them enough for private tours and experiences. They have solid 5* reviews on Trip Advisor and Google from almost 4000 reviewers! You can view all their tours here.

If you’re looking for private airport transfers and rental cars then Vanessa and Oliver from Turismo Channel are personal friends of mine and I can 100% recommend them to make an inquiry click here and complete the form. Someone will be in touch within 24 hours.

What to expect when you get your Mexican driver’s license

So firstly expect a wait! I was waiting outside for almost an hour before I even got inside. Once inside it was pretty quick and efficient. To avoid such long wait times I’d advise getting there early around 9-10 am.

Once inside you will move around to different counters seeing different people once you have done all of the necessary things your license is printed and handed to you there and then. I found the whole thing extremely efficient and I was actually super impressed with just how easy the process was.

Here is the what to expect when you enter the office to get your Mexican Drivers License:

Mexican Drivers License in Playa del Carmen
  1. You will first see the reception officers and hand them all of your paperwork. They will check everything and ask you how long you want your license for. If it’s an FFM then you can only get it until that expires. For temp residents, I will be until that expires. But if you are a permanent resident like me then you can choose 2 or 5 years. I chose 5 years as the cost was only $900 pesos. I’m not sure why but when I went there was a 50% discount on licenses! The advertised Mexican drivers License costs were $1126 pesos for 2 years and $1797 pesos for 5 years. But as of April 2022, you only pay $500 or $900 with the discount. Once the officer confirms you have everything needed they will enter you into the system and hand you a ticket and tell you which window to visit next.
  2. At the next window, they will take the following information: Full name, DOB, Marital status, and Emergency contact number. Then they will direct you to the next station (eye test).
  3. You will be required to do a quick eye test. It was very easy, but you will need to know the alphabet in Spanish! Watch out for the A, I, and E haha. Although I think they tend to skip those letters for English speakers as we struggle. They will also ask you for your blood type here. So long as you pass the eye test you will be directed to pay.
  4. At the pay counter, you can pay by either cash or card. Keep your receipt as you will need to prove you have paid at the final counter. (If you need to do the drivers test, then I think that’s the next place you go. You do a practical test and a written test. You can ask for the written test in English).
  5. This is the final counter! Here they ask you to check all of the information on a screen. They will fingerprint you and get a digital signature from you and take your photo. Then you wait a few minutes for your brand new shiny Mexican drivers license to be printed.

It really is as easy as that!

If anyone on an FMM does go and get their license and anything in this post is incorrect, please do reach out and let me know so I can update it!

Playa Del Carmen Travel Guide Planning

🧳 Any recommendations on what I should pack for Playa Del Carmen?

Yes! I have created a whole packing guide to Playa Del Carmen which you can read here and you can also check out my packing list for Playa Del Carmen on Amazon here.

🚗 Where can I book bus or private transportation while I’m in Playa Del Carmen?

I strongly recommend using GottoGo. You can book almost all transport in the major Mexican tourist destinations through them online. They don’t just cover buses they also cover shuttles, ferries, and private drivers.

🎫 Where can I buy tickets for museums, attractions, and tours in Playa Del Carmen?

I recommend either Viator or GetYour Guide. They have a  lot of options available!

If you are traveling from Playa del Carmen then I recommend booking through my friend Vanessa at Turismo Channel. You can check out their tours by clicking here and using the following discount codes for the best prices clairecaroff (car rental), claire10off (for 10% off group tours), claireprivate (for a discount on private tours). You can also send her a WhatsApp message quoting the above codes to receive the discount.

👩‍⚕️ What is the best insurance to have while traveling?

I recommend using Heymondo for a great value policy. The app also offers you 24/7 Dr Chat. For Digital Nomads check out SafetyWing digital nomad insurance.

I have also written a blog post covering all my recommended travel insurance here

✈️ Any flight recommendations?

WayAWay offers you cheap flights with cashback. You can use this code CLAIRE22 to get 10% off. Otherwise Skyscanner or Expedia are my go-to flight searching platforms.

📱What do you use for internet connection while traveling?

I’m a big fan of personal WiFi devices and they have saved my ass so many times when traveling. I wrote a full review of the top travel WiFi devices you can read here. I personally use GlocalMe as I can either pop in a physical sim card or use their local carrier.

With regards to my phone connection, I use e-sims while traveling, so rather than having to swap out my regular sim card I can download the app and buy a virtual sim card. I recommend using eitherAirhub or Alosim. Both have great coverage of multiple countries and are very easy to use.

🛏️ What is the best platform to use for booking accommodation?

The 3 best platforms that I normally use are, and Expedia They offer great deals and multiple options. I always check all three to be sure of the best deals.

🛅 Do you have any luggage recommendations for traveling?

I do have a complete list of the best packing and luggage products that I recommend, you can check the list here. I’m currently traveling with this suitcase and this backpack. 

Pin for later

Mexican Drivers License in Playa del Carmen

Bobby Simmons

Thursday 29th of February 2024

Things have changed a lot. I got my license in Playa del Carmen today. I went to Instituto de movilidad yesterday at 9:00 a.m., and was told to come back at 11:00 a.m. I was initially sent to a driver's education class for approximately 45 minutes to and hour, which was conducted in Spanish. I was the given a 30 question exam in Spanish and then sent for a driving test consisting of parallel parking next to the curb between four cones. I was told to go to IMOVECQRoo at 10 a.m the following day. I arrived to the address put in my GPS but told I had to go to Palmaris plaza. I got there and they told me I needed a certificate from the driver's class and exam along with a medical certificate. I went back to to the original location and they gave me the certificate. I then had to go to Calle 41 Sur for an eye exam and blood type certification all of which is on my current driver's license for which I paid $860.00 pesos. He gave me a certificate in about a total of 15 minutes. I returned to Palmaris plaza and was given my license for $2,028.00 pesos. There was no discount for age and no exceptions for permanent residents. I got the license in about 15 minutes after retuning. Everyone was nice and laughed when I said I was one of the best advocates for my Mexicano brothers and sisters in America, now I am being denied all the promised benefits of permanent residency in Mexico.

Rads Hark

Tuesday 13th of February 2024

I went there today (Tuesday Feb 13th) and was turned away as new licenses are only issued on certain days and Tuesday is not one of them. What days they do issue new licenses is still a mystery to me. One of the officers pointed to a poster on the entrance. Nearest I could tell it was the general office hours and saw nothing about new licenses.


Friday 19th of January 2024

No longer works; I tried to go today.

You need to do a drivers test, they told me to come at 7:30am on Monday and expect to be there for 2 hours minimum.

The police now are in charge of the whole process.


Friday 13th of January 2023

Claire - thanks for this great article. I just utilized it today here in PDC, and I sailed through to my license. Here are a few points, for other people's reference:

1. I am a permanent resident

2. I read on the local expat FB group that the office is less busy around 2 pm, and that's when I went (on a Friday.) Indeed, it was not crowded, and everything was relaxed.

3. Before reading your article I had all the necessary documents, but you mentioned that they asked for a photocopy of your foreign license. So I got a copy of my license...and they didn't ask for it.

4. I forgot to copy the back side of my permanent resident ID, and the lady asked for it. I said I didn't have it, and I think because I had built up some goodwill with her (I speak good Spanish, which was helpful at every step in the process), and maybe because it was Friday, she just dropped the subject and stamped me through.

5. As just mentioned, speaking Spanish makes it a lot easier. That being said, I'm sure that if I didn't, I would have had Claire's experience of still not having a problem.

6. The whole process took about 40 minutes.

7. They charged me 1,798 pesos (not 1,797 like the sign says), so whatever 50% discount Claire got was not on offer today.

8. I got a ride to the Transito office from a friend, but I walked back to Centro afterward. It's a bit of a hike, and most gringos would probably never do it, but I'm not a typical gringo, and it was a nice walk through some actual Mexican areas with real Mexican shops and restaurants, with real prices (unlike Centro.)

Anyway, I hope this adds more data points to anyone else looking to do this.

Captn Flex

Friday 27th of January 2023

@Captn Flex, we went also on a friday afternoon and like JZ mentionned no big lineup. Important you original driver copie need to be done both side on the same 8.5 X11 inches sheet. Same for passeport on a 8.5 X 11 sheet, original size ( not cut of or blowout) we had to redoo ours across the street. We had it done under 1 hr.

Captn Flex

Friday 27th of January 2023

@Captn Flex, thanks Claire great infos. Chofer they told me if you want to drive a mini van to transport poeple, i was asking if the chofer licencia include motovista and the told me no they consider it a separate licence ( my understanding in poor spanish ;-).


Friday 27th of January 2023

@JZ, just to clarify my previous comment: they took the photocopy of my US driver's license. Also, Claire, a big thank you for your article! It was very helpful.


Friday 27th of January 2023

@JZ, I just obtained mine this morning in Playa and want to confirm what JZ said. I'm also a permanent resident. I arrived at about 850am today (a Friday) and got number 1 for the line. I was in and out of the office in about 15 minutes. In total, it probably took about 20 minutes. I had all of the documents that Claire outlined in her article, and they did take the copy of my US driver's license. Also, I was concerned about the electricity bill because all I had was one printed copy of it (from the digital PDF on CFE) and not the original, but they did not have any issue with that. My Spanish is still beginner level yet everyone was friendly and helpful and made the process very easy.

Captn Flex

Wednesday 25th of January 2023

@Claire Summers, what is the difference between chofer and automovolista?