In this guide, I’m going to share with you the different options you have for traveling between Cancun airport and Playa Del Carmen. Having lived in Playa Del Carmen and been a regular visitor to the Riviera Maya I’ve traveled to and from Cancun airport to Playa Del Carmen more times than I can remember.
If you are planning on traveling back from Playa del Carmen to Cancun airport it’s much the same, although getting a taxi is much cheaper! So you can just reverse all of the advice in this post.
How far is Playa Del Carmen from Cancun airport?
It’s just over 55km in distance from Cancun airport to Playa Del Carmen and it generally takes around an hour, depending on the traffic. It’s a very easy drive along the main road and even traveling on the Cancun to Playa del Carmen bus really doesn’t take long.
How to get from Cancun airport to Playa Del Carmen
These are the best ways to travel from Cancun airport to Playa del Carmen
- Take the ADO bus – Cancun to Playa del Carmen
- Take a private shuttle from Cancun airport to Playa del Carmen
- Rent a Car from Cancun Airport
- Take a taxi from Cancun airport to Playa del Carmen
- Hotel Transport
Take the ADO bus from Cancun Airport to Playa Del Carmen
Using the ADO bus (Cancun to Playa del Carmen) is just so cheap and easy in all honesty it’s always my first option when I need to get from Cancun airport to Playa Del Carmen. Once you arrive at the airport just ask for directions or follow the signs to the ADO bus station within the airport. You can either buy your ticket inside if the booth is open, otherwise, you can buy your ticket outside before you board the bus. Be aware that you can only pay by card at some of the ADO bus stands in Cancun airport. So to avoid added stress make sure you take some cash out at the airport or have some USD on you as they will accept USD or Pesos, just not card! The ADO buses from Cancun airport to Playa del Carmen run every 30 minutes and the cost is 190 pesos (around $10). This makes taking the bus from Cancun airport the best choice for anyone on a budget.
The bus from Cancun airport to playa del Carmen runs from 8:30 am until 12:30 am. So if you are on an early or late flight this may not be the best option. It’s also worth remembering that you will be dropped off at the ADO bus stop in downtown Playa Del Carmen. That means if you have pre-booked your accommodation you may need to take a taxi there so don’t forget to add that on to your budget.
Get a Private Shuttle from Cancun Airport to Playa Del Carmen
If you want transportation from Cancun airport to Playa Del Carmen as quickly and easily as possible then I would recommend booking an airport transfer Cancun to Playa del Carmen. Be sure to do this well in advance online. By booking an airport transfer or private shuttle you will be saving money (compared with a taxi) and saving yourself time and stress (getting the bus). The driver will be there to greet you at the airport holding your name on a sign. All of the shuttles are private so you won’t need to be waiting around for anyone. Each transfer from Cancun to Playa del Carmen is slightly different. But as standard, you will be in a small minibus/ people carrier and will have AC. The driver will then drop you directly at your hotel or accommodation.
The cost is around $50 each way. If there are a few of you this is a great option as it could end up cheaper than taking a taxi from Cancun airport to Playa del Carmen or even the bus.
Cancun Airport Transportation by eTransfers is the company I recommend booking with. I personally choose this option sometimes, especially when taking early morning flights, or if I have a lot of luggage. If I have family visiting then I always prefer to book a transfer from Cancun to Playa del Carmen for them as it saves so much stress for me and my family. It can be so stressful arriving in a new country when you don’t speak the language so if I’ve booked them a transfer I know everyone will arrive safe and stress-free!
Rent a car from Cancun airport
If you are thinking about hiring a car for your vacation/ trip then renting a car from Cancun airport is quick and easy. Be sure to book online before you arrive to get the best deals. Also be very careful about insurance. Even though most US Citizens have insurance through their credit cards, more often than not this doesn’t cover you in Mexico. So always get the extra insurance and check everything very carefully before taking the car.
Get an airport taxi from Cancun to Playa Del Carmen
If you don’t do public buses and haven’t planned ahead and booked a shuttle or transfer then your only option is to take a taxi from Cancun to Playa del Carmen. Be warned you will have to pay their inflated prices and the Cancun airport taxi drivers have a pretty bad rep. The cost of a taxi from Cancun Airport to Playa Del Carmen can vary hugely as the taxi drivers are a law unto themselves. Expect to pay from 1500 pesos ($80) plus tip.
The more Spanish you can speak, the more likely you will get a better rate. I’ve managed to get them down to around $1200 before when I told them I was local and I’d rather get the bus. They like to tell tourists that the buses aren’t running, or the rental car places are shut, they will tell you anything to get you in their taxi! They will also oftern expect a tip on top of any fair you agree, so I strongly sugest that you skip getting a taxi from Cancun to Playa del Carmen and book a private shuttle instead.
Taking a taxi from Playa del Carmen to Cancun airport
If you want to take a taxi from Playa del Carmen to Cancun airport things are very very different! A taxi will cost you a fraction of the price at around $600 pesos (just over $30 USD). There are several local taxi drivers who provide this service. I can personally recommend Pepe (WhatsApp +52 9841203695) and Raul (WhatsApp +52 9841658346) I know that Pepe speaks English, but I’m not sure about Raul. Maybe google translate just to be sure!
Hotel Transfer From Cancun Airport to Playa del Carmen
If you have booked into a swanky resort for 5 days or more in Playa Del Carmen then the chances are that your Cancun airport transfer will be included in your booking. Yep, that’s right the hotel will send a driver to pick you up and provide you with a transfer from Cancun airport to Playa del Carmen. this is ideal as it means you will get from the airport to Playa del carmen quickly and easily. Plus it will save you some cash, although do be sure to tip your driver. 10% -20% is the normal tip in the Riviera Maya.
Need a hotel close to Cancun Airport?
Here are my recommends:
If you are on a budget and need a place to sleep close to the airport then Boom Feel Hostel is the number one choice.
If you are looking for a private hotel room close to Cancun airport my top pick is Villa Airport Prestige.
As you can see getting from Cancun airport to Playa Del Carmen is super easy, fast and budget-friendly. Make sure you plan in advance if you want to do anything other than taking the ADO bus and you will be fine.
Looking for somewhere to stay in Playa del Carmen, Tulum, or Cancun? Check out my accommodation guides.
Looking for things to do in the Riviera Maya?
Check out these articles:
This post was proofread by Grammarly
Book your trip now
Are you ready to book your trip? To help you get the best deals and service here are the companies that I personally use to book all of my travel online. I always shop around before booking anything, but these are my tried and tested starting places.
- Skyscanner – I’m a bit fan of Skyscanner, it is who I use to book all of my flights. I often will check other like Google Flights or Momodo, but I always go here first and it is who I book 99% of my flights with.
- Booking.com – I LOVE booking.com especially when I can book and cancel free up until a certain point, mostly because my plans are forever changing. It’s easy to use and has one of the widest selections.
- Airbnb – I’m not a huge user of Airbnb, but sometimes I do like to use it, and I ALWAYS check it before I book anything else. You can get some really cool places to stay here, and it is especially good in places like Cuba. If you don’t have an account and you click on this link then you will get $36 off your first booking.
- Hostelworld – If you are looking for hostels then this is a great place to check first. They often have additional places that you won’t find on Bookin.com.
- Agoda – Although I don’t use it as much as booking.com, Agonda is especially good if you are traveling in Asia as they really do dominate there.
- Worldpackers – If you want to travel on the cheap and save money on accommodation then you need Worldpackers in your life. You can read more about it here. If you click this link to sign up and use the code CLAIRESITCHYFEET then you can get a 40% discount on your membership!
- Book a Way – If you are traveling in Asia and want to pre-book your transportation then bookaway.com is a fantastic site to do so. They have buses, trains, and cars.
- RentalCars – Looking to rent a. car while you are away? I always book through Rental Cars as they do a search of all of the big sites and find the best deals.
- Welcome Pickups – Very occasionally getting from the airport to my accommodation is a total pain in the butt, or I’m traveling in a group and it makes sense to arrange a pickup. When I do I use Welcome pickups.
- World Nomads – If you are looking for flexible travel insurance then it’s World Nomads all the way. I wrote all about insurance here if you want a more thorough review.
- SafetyWing – AsI’m a Digital Nomad and not moving around quite so much anymore I personally use SafetyWing now for my health insurance. I wrote a full review here.
- Viatour – Sometimes it can be a little expensive, but I like Viatour for somethings, especially if you can get a discount code! It’s also great for inspiration.
- Klook – If you are traveling in Asia, then Klook is great! You can book all kinds of tours, activities, and train tickets, plus they even have sim cards and WiFi.